Sunday, August 2, 2009

Classroom Catch-up and Tea Pot Song

I have considered starting a blog about my teaching experiences, kind of keeping that seperate from the family blog. But we'll see... haven't made my mind up yet.

I'm getting more and more excited to start school. One week from today is Open House and then one week from tomorrow is the first day of school! Most all of my room is ready. My desk and kidney table area are still a mess. I just have to finish filing and sorting through office supplies. I had two days of Orientation last week. The first day was long and boring. But day two was full of some great ideas. Those great ideas got my brain going...

Last time I taught kinders, I had a chant that we said as we lined up (a fellow teacher from Kruse Elem in Fort Collins, CO made it up and passed it on:
I'm giving myself a great big hug, I'm standing straight and tall,
I'm looking right in front of me, I'm ready for the hall. *Put a bubble in your mouth!

Well, at Westview last year they adopted specific hallway procedures: hips and lips for K-2 and hands behind backs for 3-5. Still wanting a chant/tune to help us line up, I came up with this:
(to the tune of I'm a Little Tea Pot)
We are lining up to go into the hall,
Our eyes are to the front and we're standing straight and tall.
Our hands are to ourselves with the left one on our hips,
Our smiling mouths are quiet with a finger to our lips.

I might switch it to "I"-focused: I am lining up to go into the hall, My eyes are to the front and I'm standing straight and tall. My hands are to myself with the left one on my hip, My smiling mouth is quiet with a finger to my lips.

Which one do you like better???

3 comments:

I {Heart} Recess said...

I love the song! I like the "i" focus better :)

Anonymous said...

the "I" focused one!!!!Cute!!!

kari.jackson said...

You are so cute! And creative! What a fun little song :o)