Monday, August 17, 2009

School Has Begun

A few quick notes (because I'm tired and my 3 year old has yet to fall asleep next to me in bed -- daddy is out of town)...

School started off well. I am at 16 students, mostly girls. Their personalities and characters are so interesting and I can't wait to get to know each one of them more and more this year.

Lunch time is not as crazy and stressful as I imagined. We took a whole morning practicing it, though!

One of my new boys managed to grab his backpack and bolt out of my room last week. I am not as fast as I used to be but I can still catch up with a sprinting child. I didn't think my class was that bad anyways!!! :) Actually, it's nothing personal -- he's just adjusting and has A LOT going on in his life right now.

I think sometimes my outgoing character in the classroom is too much for my quiet kiddos. They look at me with blank stares and I wonder if anything is getting in their heads. Or is it my crazy mid-west accent?!?!?!

Today I was talking with a young boy and I wanted to know what his parents do for a living. Conversation: Me- What's your dad do? Boy- Hits. Me (shocked) - What's your mom do? Boy - Cries. W-O-W!!! Not at all what I expected to hear... maybe something like "Works at McD's and mom is at home." Instead a red flag comes up in my head and I think, "Keep my eyes on this boy." Life is different here.

Some kiddos asked me the other day for hugs. So as I passed them papers, they came and gave me a hug. Today, the class asked again if we could do that same thing: grab a paper, get a hug! :)

I have 16 on a good day. Today I ended the day with 9! There must be a flu bug going around. I have lost my voice a bit today -- and not because I yell at the kids! ;)

But above all of this, I am still adjusting to waking up early! I hate the sound of an alarm clock. And if possible, I shower with the lights off... I am NOT a morning person!!!!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Seriously, you shower with the lights off?? How in thee world do you do that?

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that the kids are asking for hugs!! If touch their lives with a little bit of love what more can you want? Of course you want to teach them too but you know what I mean!! A hug can be worth a thousand words!! Keep up the good work Anna. I love you and send you a big hug () right now!! (That's the new sign for a hug - just made it up- good huh?)
Love you
() () () () XXXXXX
Mom

hey look at what i did said...

Oh Anna! Your students are going to be so lucky to have you! It makes you just want to go home & hug your own kids no matter what mischief they've been up doesn't it?
When I was teaching I had a 6th grade boy ask if I would adopt him b/c I was nicer than his parents.

kari.jackson said...

That's so awesome that you can be a special person in their lives (that it sounds like some of them REALLY need)! Stay positive and good luck with those yucky early mornings...I hear ya, I am NOT (even in the slightest) a morning person..
:) kari