Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yay for Good News!

Yesterday brought about lots of good news for our family and friends!

I interviewed at Westview Elementary, where I did a long-term sub job and a week-long job at third grade. It wasn't a nerve-wracking interview at all since I knew the principal already and I'm pretty confident in my abilities and what I have to offer at this school. There were two openings they discussed with me: fifth grade or kindergarten. Considering I taught kindergarten my last year in Colorado and have a whole spare bedroom FULL of teaching materials, I shared my interest in that position. I said, "I want to help plant the seeds and grow those strong roots so the students may be more successful when they hit the intermediate grades and higher." Smooth!! :)

Anyhow, at the end of the interview, I was offered a position in the district THAT day or the kindergarten position in a week, following the formalities of closing days and cut-offs. I would love to teach fifth grade someday but it just doesn't appeal to me here in the south. There are some set attitudes and behaviors that I don't want to deal with next year. Sorry if that sounds lazy, but I don't mean it that way. I want kindergarteners to have a great first year of school. Plus, last night I rolled around for probably two hours thinking through all that I would change or try the same as before from my first year in kinder. I can't wait to get going!

I still have my name in for the Fort Benning schools. If I get an interview and an offer there, it will definitely be considered since I can transfer around in the Dept of Defense schools. But we are ever-so grateful for this job offer at Westview. I'll get to hang out with Jessica more! :)

Also, hooray for Jen, my SIL (sister in law), for getting a job on base. Yay, sis! And Jessica, a shout out to you girl for keeping your job at WES but moving up to 4th. We should partner our kiddos up for Buddy Reading once a week! :)

No comments: