Sunday, June 21, 2009

Go Green

We have attended two birthday parties in the past week. Instead of wrapping the presents in store-bought wrapping paper, I decided to use brown paper bags decorated by Wyatt. Our first attempt was a bit pathetic, but the little boy still enjoyed tearing into it!

Our second try at it, I ironed the paper bags after cutting open. Then Wyatt fingerpainted. One bag, he stamped his handprints; the second bag, he smeared colors all over. After they dried, I taped them together and wrapped the gift. Unfortunately, scotch tape does not hold bags closed very well so I used double-sided sticky tape (carpet strength). The birthday boy had a hard time opening the present!
I figured why should I spend money on wrapping paper when brown bags are given for free at the grocery store and the decorating is a fun craft for Wyatt? The brown bags that I collect that aren't used for wrapping paper will be cut open and used in my classroom. We don't get much (if any) budget money so I have to be smart about my supplies.
Yay for GOING GREEN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Idea!! I have used the comic stips from the paper before!!!

Megan Brueseke said...

I think this is such a good idea - I'm going to use it! Boden got his first taste of finger painting a couple weeks ago and he LOVED it, so I'm sure he'll be on board! I always hated spending money on wrapping paper anyway - it feels like such a waste when it just gets ripped open and thrown away. Thanks for the idea!