Thursday, November 6, 2008

Getting to Know Him

Jake has been at his district's annual training this week. And while he's been away, I've been blessed to go on my own "retreat" - a spiritual one. I was convicted earlier this week about my priorities: how I'm trying so hard to fit back into my pre-preggo size by fitting a workout into my schedule YET I can not take the time to fit a bible study or even a prayer, intimate time with my Maker, into my daily schedule. It reminds me of something I saw as a young girl (thank Mom and Dad for sending me to VBS)...

If you fill a container with rice (all the things in our day that we view as necessary but are less important) and then try to fit in the golf balls (your relationship with God, time with Him, etc.), there's no way the golf balls will fit in the container. But if you place the golf balls in first, the rice will fill around the golf balls and the container will seal.

As we do with tithing (giving of that money first and then budgeting on what is left), so should I be doing with my relationship with God: prioritize spending time with Him and then all other "priorities" will fall into place. Instead of feeling frazzled all day, I would rather be at peace and obtain more, having a strong foundation to stand on.

I was listing relationships that I have fallen short in and needed to make improvements. After looking over my list, I realized nowhere on it had I written my relationship with my heavenly Father. Once I thought about this, I came to the conclusion that if I worked on that relationship first, then the others would fall into place.

I was reading for my bible study tonight and came across verse after verse that I could not recollect a time that I had ever heard these verses before. I was saved at a young age but never have I come to really know the Word. A conviction.

This might be a post that some of you just roll right over and, if so, that's okay. This was just something I needed to do, to "put down on paper" some of my thoughts. Two verses that have stuck with me that I need to type out (mainly since I learn it better by writing it out) are:

Phillipians 4:8 - Whatever is true, noble, or right, whatever is pure, loving, or admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think of this. Whatever you have learned or received, heard from me, or seen in me, practice this. And the God of Peace will be with you!
(this verse speaks volumes to me in some issues that I have faced in the past two weeks - to know that if I think or practice these things, the God of Peace will be with me... I will have peace!)

Isaiah 7:9 - If you do not stand strong in your faith, you will not stand at all.


Thanks for reading my thoughts!

4 comments:

Megan Brueseke said...

I can totally relate to your feelings Anna - It's hard to be a mom and juggle all the things we think we're "supposed" to do. this is a constant battle for me. But you are right - when we put the most important thing first it will all fall into line. thanks for the reminder :)

RandA said...

NO kidding, thanks for the reminder. :) You're awesome Anna, I miss you.

-Allyson

Anonymous said...

Anna,
You are the coolest!! Reading this really humbles me and makes me realize how I need to commit to doing a better study of the word of God. You are an awesome woman and I love you dearly!
Love
Mom

Becky said...

Thanks Anna for sharing this! I read this last week and then heard something on the radio this weekend that I wanted to share with you. The guy said you wouldn't serve guests leftovers, but instead you would make them one of your best meals. We tend to give Jesus our leftovers instead of the best we have. Wow! That's true I know for me many days and I want to change that!