Thursday, July 9, 2009

Little Helpers

As I continued work on my front yard project, Wyatt and our neighbor boy, Jude, decided to lend me a hand. What cracks me up is their shoe choices. Wyatt went with the good ol' cowboy boot while Jude went for the quickest and closest choice to the door... his sister's high heel sandals!!!! :) When Irie, his sister, made it over, she was wearing her mom's sandals. Gotta love it!
Jude's dad, Eddy, would be so proud of his son (as Jake would be of Wyatt!).
After a while of digging, filling the bucket, and dumping the extra soil at tree bottoms and in between bushes, I decided to do this whole thing logically. Bring out the Gator! Wyatt was given a Gator Big Wheels type of toy for Christmas from my parents and had never used it to its full potential. The kids drove it up to me, I filled it with shovel-fulls of dirt, and then they drove and dumped it at the bushes with me. It was awesome! Too bad I didn't get a picture of that.

My neighbor, Anna (what a great name!), came over and gave me some advice: pull up the old bricks and scatter them with the new ones. Not like I wanted to do MORE work, but I wanted it to look good, not too cheap.


These are the roots that I had to saw through (thanks to Anna for having a saw... ours doesn't work anymore). The big root was like a mini tree laying in the ground. We couldn't figure out what tree it went to... possibly one that used to be in the yard that they cut down. But the wood seemed still fresh.

The final product. Anna helped me get the bricks in as close together as possible and without much movement. You can sort of see the pattern I went with using the old bricks. The old ones are at each of the corners and then they make a diamond in the middle (with a new one in the very middle).

I still need to lay some grass seed and grab a bag of mulch for under the water hose. I think it would be great to extend the right side one more brick out (they are only $1.37 at the PX right now). We'll see!

Oh yeah, notice the hanging plant! Let's see how long that survives at the Barnoski house! :)

No comments: